Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cheezits!

I am a snacker. I enjoy it far too much.
My husband is also a snacker. Well.. sometimes. He's a weird guy.
Anyway, he's been taking a few snacks with him to work recently, and I thought it would be nice if they were healthier snacks, instead of processed garbage.
Then I remembered I had once stumbled upon a recipe for home made cheezits!
I know, crazy, right!?

This is what we start with:
The stuff in the black bottle is cayenne pepper. Jon likes things really really spicy, so I used kind of a lot.
So then we mixed it all up. At this point, I was really wishing I had a food processor. I used a hand mixer.. and it just... was so annoying. (hint to everyone who loves me, my birthday is only 40 days away!)


After everything was mixed, it chilled in the fridge for about 2 hours, then I spread it out on a baking sheet and cut them up with a pizza cutter.


Baked them, and there you have it.

So the process goes like this

Ingredients
1 cup flour
8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
4tbsp butter, cut into small pieces 
5 tbsp water

Preheat oven to 350
Mix the flour, cheese, cayenne, butter and salt until the mix is crumbly. Do this in a food processor if you have one, or if not, you can use a blender... or a hand mixer.
Slowly add the water until the dough is moist. You may not use all the water.
Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
Take out of fridge, place dough between two pieces of wax paper, and roll it thin. Carefully remove top layer of wax paper and use the pizza cutter to cut into 2" x 2" squares. Carefully place onto a greased baking sheet.
Bake for about 25 minutes, until crispy.
Enjoy!

Jesse tried to be my model, but you can't really see the cheezit in his hand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I <3 your model!
PS this is your MA :)

Nikkole said...

mmm cheezits. Those are great. I wonder if my kids will eat them. I bet they're way cheaper to make than to buy. Thanks for the recipe!

I love this blog by the way. I think what you're doing is great. You're different from other foodie blogs because you're real with your post. you post the good, the bad, and the ugly. Not only the good. Love it!

I finally was able to comment though. Seriously everytime I logged in to google it gave me an error. But here I am, finally writing a comment. Keep up the good work.

<3 Nikki

Stephanie said...

Well thanks! That makes me feel very good!

Post a Comment