Friday, August 26, 2011

Fish Fingers and Custard

I am a HUGE Doctor Who fan.
Like
HUGE
I remember the first episode I watched. It was called Rise of the Cyberman. I fell in love with the chemistry between Rose and this skinny guy called the Doctor who had a stick that made weird noises and an odd blue box. 
After that, I watched the first episode... confused why some other guy was playing the Doctor, but I was hooked. Absolutely hooked.    I watched the first three seasons on Netflix within two weeks, and went as far as to buy season 4 on DVD because I could not wait a single second to see it. Jon and I spent that weekend in bed, on my laptop, watching every single episode.

When my beloved David Tennant left the show, I was heartbroken. This Matt Smith guy looked so WEIRD and UGLY and I was just not happy.

Until the very first episode.
Where I laughed SO much at the scene where he was trying to figure himself out. Honestly, much funnier than David Tennant's fight with Sycorax and he asks "What kind of man are you?" and DT responds "I don't knooowwaaa" (You know you read that in his voice. ;)


So, for reference, in case you are wondering what on earth I could possibly be talking about.










The scene, shows the new Doctor trying to figure out what sort of food he likes. It's hilarious.

When I saw that episode, I immediately started wondering, what on Earth would fish sticks and custard taste like?
Then promptly forgot. For a year and a half.

However, Saturday marks the start of the second part of season 6! and I had a simply brilliant idea to make them... a little more... dessert like.

I don't have very many pictures of this process, unfortunately. It was very involved and required a lot of attention, even though I had a helper, so we will go straight to the recipe!

For the custard, I found a recipe for Eggless Custard Buttercream frosting.
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup milk
1 cup butter
1 tbsp vanilla
4 tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup milk

Mix 1/4 cup milk and 4 tbsp cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
In a 2 quart sauce pan, mix the rest of the milk and the sugar. Stir until boiling, then add the cornstarch mix. Mix again until boiling, remove from heat, add the vanilla, and stir hard until it is smooth and glossy.
Let it cool completely. After completely cool, transfer to a bowl. Mix in soft butter slowly, mixing after each addition.

For the "Fish Sticks"
10 chocolate or vanilla wafer cookies
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups Special K  (crushed)

Spread the peanut butter over the wafer cookies and roll them in crushed special K.


See, how awesome is that!

Enjoy them while you watch the new episode!

2 comments:

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

Nice! Very creative with the "fish sticks."

Post a Comment